Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/30

March came in like a lion and it looks like it will go out the same way. Five to ten inches of snow is expected in some areas around the city. It was decent this afternoon, the calm before the storm. The wind had died. By evening it was back and even the partial sunshine was gone. The weather has to get better sometime, doesn't it?
I'd had Stephanie Meyer's wildly popular Twilight and Eclipse for three sessions of the floating bookshop. Today a Russian woman purchased them. She tried to turn a steal into highway robbery. She got both, a soft cover in good condition and a hardcover in excellent condition, for five bucks. I had to fight the temptation to cave. I was ready to leave and I knew it would be my only sale. Fortunately, she was reasonable. Spasiba, madam.
I've been proofing a short story collection for the publisher of my second novel, Adjustments. I'm also going to write a blurb, which will be very difficult because I don't like the writing. And the stories all seem unfinished and unpolished, although some are interesting. They are about vampires and murderers, of which I'm tired, although the general public is not, obviously, given the success of the Twilight series.. The writer's first language is French, and it shows. There is a real lack of command. I'm hoping Victoria doesn't ask my opinion. I believe she and the author are friends. One of the stories is dedicated to her. I was supposed to correct only errors, but I did a little more. There were a few sentences I did not understand at all. I pasted them into an email and Victoria is sending them to the author for clarification. It makes me question my own work, which Victoria loves. If she is wrong about the other guy's, is she wrong about mine? Is my work third rate as well? I've had a lot of positive feedback, but I'd bet the author in question has too. It's not his first book. Are we so wrapped up in ourselves as not to see the inadequacy?
Read Vic's stories and decide for yourself: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment