Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/20

It was a great day on Bay Parkway and 85th. Brilliant sunshine negated the cool breeze. Orthodox children passed continually, dressed as if for Halloween, excited. And repeat customers treated me very well.
Billy is walking with a cane these days, as he recently underwent bypass surgery, although you'd never know it by his strong grip. As soon as he stepped out of the Chase bank, he headed right for the DVDs. I'd had Batman Begins for at least two months, courtesy of Zoom surveys. Some sites pay in merchandise. I wouldn't let Billy take it until I'd opened it and checked that it was okay. He's been a good customer and I wouldn't want to lose him. He also took a bull riders documentary, which Luis, our Super, had given me. I've now sold all six of the items he donated to the cause. As Billy was about to leave, he noticed When John and Caroline Lived in the White House, a lovely pictorial book. He couldn't resist it. He then commented on my varsity jacket and revealed he was on the St Francis Prep team, graduating in 1968. SFP was coached for decades by the legendary Vinnie O'Connor. They rarely lost more than two games per season and frequently won the Catholic league championship. I asked Billy what position he played and, in a refreshing bit of candor, he said: "Third string bench-warmer." It must have been really hard to crack that starting lineup. As he was leaving, he asked facetiously if the jacket were for sale. I quipped that I'd probably be buried in it. Thanks, my friend.
Soon Bob came limping along. He'd asked me to burn a CD for him, leaving the selections up to me. He graduated in 1979. I hoped the oldies I'd chosen would do the trick. He recognized most of the titles and I'm sure he'll recognize each track once he hears them. If he likes it, he will order another. Thanks, buddy. I introduced him to Lorraine, who soon appeared and who once lived on Bay 37th for a brief period. I was only vaguely familiar to her the first time we became reacquainted, which astounded me. I'll get to that story tomorrow, when all-day rain is predicted. She was kind enough to buy a Stephen White thriller.
Last but not least, Joanne approached with a bag full of books, which she'd been promising to donate. And she wouldn't take any in return. Thanks, ma'am.
Given the forecast, I thought it a good time to undergo the annual government-mandated shakedown of car inspection, figuring I'd leave it overnight and pick it up tomorrow. The lot was practically empty as I pulled into it. The manager, Ralph, a hulking teddy bear, said I was just in time, the last customer of the day. Ten minutes later I was on my way home. I couldn't believe my luck. And to think how I'd dreaded the visit, certain something wrong would be found, leading to a huge bill. Mark Twain's quote about worry once again proved true: "I knew a great many troubles in my life, but most of them never happened."
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment