Total Pageviews

Monday, March 28, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/28

It was quite a day despite the persistent cold. I again accompanied my friend Arlynn to the doctor, and she again treated me to lunch, brick oven pizza, which we both agreed was bland. I've never had a specialized slice that I thought was as good as what I can get at Delmar here in Sheepshead Bay or Spumoni Gardens in the old neighborhood. Anyway, while we were eating, Arlynn said that the woman she had hired to accompany her to radiation treatments backed out of the deal. Since she hasn't been able to find anyone else, she asked if I would do it. Although I didn't want to do it, as I would have to take payment from a friend, I agreed. How could I refuse? She burst into tears of gratitude. She has her first appointment tomorrow and will begin a five-day-a-week schedule in the near future.
It's not a mitzvah if one accepts payment, although Arlynn disagrees. Nevertheless, I had luck on the street. My buddy Bob Rubenstein, author of Ghost Runners, bought two children's books for his tutoring gig. And a gentleman purchased CD's by master guitarist Joe Satriani and bluesman Johnny Lang. Thanks, guys.
Then the coup de gras - Marvin, perhaps 30, stopped and appeared to be blown away by the floating bookshop. Once homeless, he sells T-shirts on the street. He wants to write a book about his experiences and asked for advice. I told him to trust his instincts and to believe in himself. He bought A Hitch in Twilight. We did the soul handshake and a fist bump before he left. Best of luck, sir.
Maria showed just as I was about to close up. She purchased Hitch last summer. Unfortunately, her house is in foreclosure. She is a victim of the adjustable mortgage and a couple of refinancings. Her husband kept hoping for a miracle and missed his opportunity to sell. She seems to be handling it well. She claims to be tired of fighting it and is not scared to take a step backward and return to living in an apartment. After all, she grew up in the worst neighborhood in the Bronx. Her daughter, who is about to complete her sophomore year at the University of Hartford, will have to transfer to a city college, not the worst thing in the world, as the system has improved since standards were raised five or ten years ago. I was impressed with all Maria was saying. So many Americans expect to be bailed out these days. She is not one of them.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment