Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/14

Now that Daylight Savings Time has arrived, I will be doing two shifts most days. Today was the first. The afternoon was cold and fruitless. It was much warmer at four, despite the absence of sun. A cute little girl of eastern origin, riding by on a scooter, bought Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azbakan. Try saying that fast three times, as Sonny Fox used to say on Just for Fun Saturday mornings. "Six thick thistle sticks" was the tongue twister with which he most often tormented children. Anyway, thanks young lady. I've got a nice streak going, selling a little something every day for at least a week. Yesterday a guy working on a novel bought a bag of children's books and asked how to get a book in print. He seemed a bit daunted when I told him the costs of self-publishing, and who could blame him, especially since he has a wife and kid to support. I suggested he submit to regular publishers first. Who knows - he may get lucky, like I did with A Hitch in Twilight. I suggested he try duotrope.com, which lists publishers looking for submissions, and is free.
As I was standing out there on Avenue Z this evening, I recognized many of the people returning from work, going through their routine as if only a day and not months had passed. It's the nature of life, and something it is better not to dwell on too closely, as it may drive one bonkers. I was among them for almost 25 years. I still follow a routine. It's just a little more varied. Heck, I'll be out on Avenue Z every evening now, weather permitting. Passersby might think: Sheesh, how 'bout this guy's routine.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment