Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/19

I took my brother in law shopping today, which left me little time for the floating bookshop. It was beautiful except for the stiff wind, which played havoc with my wares. Thanks to the young man who purchased the Talking Heads Favorites CD.
As I was driving to the dentist this morning, I was listening to disc ten of my car CD's, amassed through downloads from the net and uploads from either my collection or that of friends'. I hadn't listened to it in a long time. It sounded so fresh and wondrous, with tracks by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Bobby Darin, Brian Setzer and John Hiatt. One in particular moved me: Phoebe Snow's Just to Get You Close, which was part of a live tribute to Muddy Waters, aired on PBS several years ago. The song reveals the lengths the singer would go to win a lover: "I'd fight a shark with a toothpick...." The lyrics are solid and don't contain the line repetitions of so many blues standards, and Snow's soaring vocal elevate them, sending chills up the spine. It is among many tunes that make me misty, which can be hazardous while driving. Here are five more off the top of my head:
I'll Be Seeing You by Linda Eder, one of the world's most under-rated vocalists, who graces the Broadway stage.
Black by Pearl Jam. Eddie Veder grabs one by the throat from the opening through the beautiful three-part harmony of voice-piano-guitar that closes the powerful piece.
Fever by Eva Cassidy. It gives me the shakes. How tragic that this enormous talent died so young.
Love and Affection by Joan Armatrading. "If I can feel the wind in my eyes and the rain on my face - why can't I feel love?" Absolutely beautiful.
Down in the Depths by Lisa Stansfield. It is part of a tribute to the world's greatest writer, Cole Porter. It features stunning imagery: "While the crowds in the clubs punish the parquet," poignancy: "I'm defeated and depressed in my regal evening dress," and humor: "Even the janitor's wife has a perfectly good love life" - hallmarks of the man's genius.
Today is the 111th anniversary of my father's birth. The poor soul was 50 when I was born. He came to America with nothing and left me a very good life. Thanks, Papa. Rest in peace.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment