Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/8

As Marv Alpert would say: "Yes!" I found a bag of goodies hanging on my doorknob: books and DVDs, including a Harry Potter and five straight-to-video horror movies. They came courtesy of our Super. And the movies, none of which I'd ever heard of, helped me sell A Hitch in Twilight. A nice lady named Sandra came by and spotted them, then noticed the story collection. I said she could have the DVDs for free if she purchased the book, and she jumped at it. She even left one, Black X-Mas, which is unrated. I imagine all of them are on the level of Friday the 13th. Thank you, ma'am. And thanks to Lou, the Super.
As I was out there on Avenue U today, I spotted a familiar figure a half block away, walking toward me. John began working at the Exchange about a year before I did. He eventually became Supervisor of one of the smaller energy markets, I forget which. He was in the first wave of cuts. Rumor has it that he has landed on disability. No one would know it looking at him. He looked great, distinguished even with his silver mane. He joined a gym and works out every day. Recently, on a lark, he went into a dance club on 86th Street, the heart of Bensonhurst. He was mesmerized by the tall, lanky Russian women going through their moves. "When do you want to join?" the manager asked. "Yesterday," John quipped. Then he told me: "I wound up bangin' two of 'em and moved on." He has been divorced eight years now and lives with his mom in the house he grew up in. "My wife has the house," he said. "Let her pay the mortgage. Screw 'er. That's my philosophy now - 'Screw everybody.'" To my disappointment, he didn't ask about my books. He bought and read Close to the Edge about ten years ago. C'est la vie.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment