Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/7

What a great day on Bay Parkway and 85th. The weather was nearly perfect, not a cloud in the sky. The forecast called for gusts of 35 mph, but it wasn't half as bad as that. I thought the CD's would be blown away, but I didn't have to chase any down.
Thanks to the young Latina who purchased five mystery/thrillers and the Latina couple who allowed their excited daughter to select two children's books. I had more than enough for one of Waj's combo gyro wraps and a half gallon of Turkey Hill green tea with ginseng and lemon. I doubt the health benefits of the tea are even remotely as good as what is brewed, but I've always loved iced tea and I hadn't had it in a while.
My friend Bob came limping along. He showed me his new Ipod and started rattling off what he has on it. "I even have a song called Werewolves of London," he said. To which I remarked: "'Ah-ooooh! I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's - his hair was perfect.'" I haven't heard that Warren Zevon classic novelty in a long time. I will be adding it to my download list. Whenever I hear it I recall the great use it was put to by Martin Scorsese in The Color of Money, as the flaky hustler played so wonderfully by Tom Cruise commands the attention of an entire pool hall. Of course, that fine film, a sequel, pales in comparison to its predecessor, the great The Hustler, which contains one of my favorite film lines. Paul Newman (Fast Eddie Felson) and Jackie Gleason (Minnesota Fats) have played pool around the clock, longer than 24 hours. The game seems to be over, with Felson the winner. An attendant helps Fats freshen up and pours powder on his bejeweled hands. Fats rubs his hands together, straightens up, looks at Felson, and says: "Fast Eddie, let's play some pool." And it's obvious the brash young man, who has been drinking heavily, is going down to defeat.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment