Total Pageviews

Friday, March 11, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/11

It was a good day. The storm blew past, the sun came out, I had some sales, and a mystery was partially solved. Thanks to the Russian gentleman who purchased the Mike Bloomfield CD, which was in mint condition. Bloomfield was one of the first white artists to play guitar blues. He pre-dates Led Zeppelin and Eric Clapton, the foremost promoters of the masters that preceded all of them.
I also sold a couple of Danielle Steele novels to a middle aged retiree who hurried back from her shopping trip, fearing they would be gone. Thanks, madam. I will put out two more tomorrow.
And now for the mystery. About ten days ago I lost my entire set of keys, including the one to the lobby door. So far I haven't had to wait too long for other tenants to come along. There I stood this afternoon, pizza box in one hand, shovel in the other, waiting. I finally remembered to take the shovel out of the trunk. It may snow again, but it would be the slushy kind that is driven through easily. Anyway, my neighbor's beautiful daughter, who is married and has two teenagers and lives in an apartment above us, was passing in the lobby, coming from the garage. I felt my face flush with embarrassment. I explained the situation and she said a notice had been posted about found keys. Sure enough, there it was in black and white in the elevator. I doubted they were my keys. After all, I hadn't lost them on the grounds but across the street in front of another large complex. But it was worth a shot. I left the pizza and shovel in my apartment and hustled over to the main office, which is in the middle building of the three that comprise Atlantic Towers. Lo and behold, they were my keys. Whoever found them must have recognized the lobby key, which was now missing. My guess is I left them dangling in the lock of my trunk. I'm grateful the person didn't drive off with my car. I doubt he made a copy. The car would have been stolen by now. The lobby key costs $25. It's no wonder it was taken. I asked one of our porters to keep an eye out in case a former tenant leaves one behind.  The new mystery is whether the person who found the set, or someone in management, stole the key.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment