Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/15

The long sales winning streak was broken today, zilch on both shifts. The afternoon was lovely, the evening was dominated by a cold wind so typical of March. I should have went right back inside as soon as I felt it.
I finished another in the mystery/thriller category, Lorenzo Carcaterra's Apaches. The first 200 pages were absolutely riveting and rang true, the last 150 were standard action fare and frequently rang false. Carcaterra was born in the Hell's Kitchen section of Manhattan. His first two books were non-fiction. Sleepers, his second, rose to number one on the New York Times best seller list in both hardcover and paperback. It was made into a movie starring Brad Pitt and Robert DeNiro, directed by Barry Levinson. I did not read the book or see the movie. It falls into a category I hate - Creative Non-fiction. A work is either true or not. Change the tiniest aspect and it becomes fiction. Carcaterra worked on Law and Order as a writer and producer in '03 and '04. He has written several novels since Apaches, even a sequel to it. It's always satisfying to see a New York goombah make good. On a scale of five, I rate Apaches three.
Don't hate me, I've just begun super-model Paulina Porzikova's first novel, A Model Summer. I found its possibilities more intriguing than another mystery/thriller, which have such a sameness to them.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment