Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/4

I made my annual visit to the dentist today and the news wasn't good. There is significant erosion beneath two of my many caps, which means they have to be replaced. This wasn't exactly a surprise. Those caps have been in place since 1987. Usual life expectancy is five years. My doctor is first rate. Fortunately, I already endured root canal on both those teeth, so I won't have to be suffering that again. Since I no longer have insurance, the cost will be $1600, and that's with a steep discount. I have plenty of money in my accounts, enough for years, but it is still daunting, given the fact that I'm not earning much. I have 14 months to my 62nd birthday, when I will qualify for reduced Social Security benefits. I figure it is best to take the money early. After all, it is impossible to know how long one will live.
It was in the mid 50's today. Even the stiff breeze had no ill effect. Thanks to the nice Russian lady, who purchased a children's book for her son, who was on a scooter. I also got a visit from an old woman who always spends a lot of time examining books, without buying. Today she debated between my suggestion, Jeffery Archer's The Prodigal Daughter, and John Jake's The Seekers, and couldn't decide.
Thanks to the folks at Synovate surveys for the $10 check, a small dent in the dentist's bill.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment