Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/26

No luck on the street for the fourth straight day, but I got a big shot in the arm from a little magazine out of the great white north - Canada. Cue the music from that Second City TV sketch with, I believe, Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. My simple slice of life, Meant To Be, appears in the debut issue of Is This Reality? It is an odd fit, as the 'zine caters to speculative (horror, fantasy, suspense, sci-fi) pieces. The editor is Jade Samuels. I wonder what made her include my story. Hopefully, it wasn't because of a dearth of submissions. Although the magazine is not as upscale as those my work has attracted the past 15 years, it is handsomely rendered. The artwork is beautiful. She did an incredible job on what obviously was a tight budget. It was probably printed out on a computer. Kudos, Jade. I will post a link to the story as soon as it becomes available at buzzle.com, presuming, of course, they accept it. I believe I did submit Meant To Be to a contest years ago. Sometimes a story remains online somewhere. If that's the case, buzzle will not take it and I'll have to find another home for it. This is the 51st of my stories to see the light of day. Maybe, in the end, they are second rate (that would explain my paltry book sales), but it is gratifying to know some people see value in my work. That was the case at buzzle, where Tracy Bonlender, aka Tankgyrl, asked me to submit stuff in its early days. She was another of my angels, along with Victoria Valentine of Water Forest Press. I can never thank those ladies enough.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment