Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/20

I can't remember the last time I sold one of my own books on the street, so it was especially gratifying to sell Adjustments today. The wind had died down considerably. With my back to the wall of the Chase Bank at Bay Parkway and 85th, I barely felt it at all. In fact, I was warm, as there was abundant sunshine. The session started with an immediate bang, as a sharp-eyed Russian woman noticed the Danielle Steel hardcovers and purchased all three. They love value and I love them for loving it. Spasiba, madam.
Elise came along about an hour later. She has purchased all my books, and possibly duplicates as well. I don't know if she is the same Elise who purchased the trifecta several years ago. Anyway, she said she'd lost her copy of Adjustments. I had the feeling she was just being nice. Recently, she had some bad luck. She submitted a book of poetry, written by her late mom, to a company called Vox Pop, which also ran a restaurant that catered to writers. Unfortunately, it went under. Elise received only one copy of the book. She was supposed to have gotten ten, and a listing at amazon. She paid $800, which is considerably less than I originally calculated she'd lost. The book was only 70-75 pages. I guess that kept the cost down. She asked if I knew any publishers. I recommended All Things That Matter Press. Unfortunately, she is not online, and that is a must with ATTMP. I asked if she would again be willing to pay a fee and told her I'd ask my friend Victoria Valentine of Water Forest Press for an estimate. VV has published eleven of my stories through the years, as well as Adjustments. She runs a first class operation. No one would be able to see a difference between her books and those of a major house. I actually felt guilty at not being able to do more for Elise. The three paperbacks I gave her as a gift seemed paltry.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment