Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/7

Thanks to the lovely young woman who purchased Sandra Brown's Temptation's Kiss today on Avenue Z.
Kudos to the Green Bay Packers and Coach Mike McCarthy, who overcame the loss of 15 players to injured reserve during the regular season, and the loss of great defensive back Charles Woodson just before the end of the first half - and still managed to win the Super Bowl. It was great to see a young man from my alma mater, Greg Jennings, do so well in the big game. As one would expect, he holds several records at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, his home town. Jennings, the son of ministers, is a graduate of Kalamazoo Central High School, which has a rich athletic tradition. Yankees great Derek Jeter is also an alumnus. In the early 50's Central won three straight state basketball titles. Bill Stuifbergen, with whom I coached football at cross town rival Loy Norrix in the early 70's, was on those teams. I figured no team outside of Detroit or Flint would ever win what used to be called the Class A title again. Wrong! Central did it again this year and, given the scores of its tournament games, appears to have done it easily. My friend Judy, who married my best college buddy Jim, was a cheerleader at Central in the early 70's. She never let me forget Central's superiority to Norrix in football and basketball. Whenever I suggested we'd win, she'd say: "Get real." I centered my second novel, Adjustments, around the Norrix-Central game of of '74. So today I give a shout out to Central High School and all its alumni, although it kills me to do so.
The game was fun. I enjoyed the party at Adam and Sharon's, particularly the stinging barbs of Adam's beautiful sister Renah, who tore into many of the pop culture icons who appeared on screen. I also had a bit of news from my old work place: a broker I disliked lost 30 million hedging silver. I know this must have made many people happy, although one must wonder if it is simply another nail in the coffin of open outcry, which has given way largely to electronic trading. Even options trading is seeing more and more of its volume go via computer. The Exchange's lease is up in November 2012. Will it move to a smaller venue or transfer operations to Chicago? No one knows.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment