Total Pageviews

Monday, February 14, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/14

My friend Arlynn  had to go back to the hospital today for more pre-surgical testing. The nurse forgot to administer a chest x-ray last Friday. It is required of all ex-smokers, even one who kicked the habit 18 years ago. Needless to say, she was pissed. Fortunately, she was served immediately. There was no two-hour wait this time. She again treated me to lunch, good old American fare - burgers and fries. She said I was due a mitzvah for my kindness. She assured me business would be booming at the floating bookshop. While not exactly brisk, I did manage to sell Karin Slaughter's A Faint Cold Fear to one of my regular's, who I hope I have the sense to ask his name next time. I also sold a large coffee table book on UFO's, despite its damaged spine. One guy asked if I had any uplifting books for a 30-year old woman in prison. Alas, I did not.
It was a beautiful day until the wind got crazy. Melting snow and ice was flowing briskly along the curbs. And the forecast is for moderate temperatures after tomorrow. I hope Cupid's arrow has found you on this Saint Valentine's Day. Speaking of love, I decided to sample a Danielle Steele novel, Secrets. I almost abandoned it while reading the first paragraph, which was really over-written. Fortunately, it improved greatly thereafter, and I found the subject's history and personality intriguing. Full report in a week or so.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment