Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/21

It was snowing at 7AM as I made my way to Stop n Shop. There was less than an inch on the ground, but I assumed the floating bookshop would be closed. When I looked out my window at 11, the snow had stopped. As I lugged the crates to the viaduct at Avenue Z, there were a few flurries in the air. It was overcast and gloomy and the cold was that damp, bone-chilling kind. I didn't think I'd last long. Fortunately, a transit worker spotted a book on the NBA. Although my friend Arynn's son is a big basketball fan, he gladly relinquished the handsome, large hardcover, a preview of the '97-'98 season replete with beautiful color photos of the league's stars, in near mint condition. The guy was thrilled with the steal he scored. And I was thrilled to have a sale on a day I thought would be a complete wash-out. Thank you, sir.
Since I could stand no more than an hour and a half in that dank cold, I decided it would be a good day to do my taxes. To my surprise, I'm getting a small return from both the state and federal. I expected nothing. And you know what - I probably deserved nothing. I guess the return was the result of my share of the property tax levied against our co-op, and the fact that I had received no stimulus check from the government last year. It's just another example of how the clowns in office waste money. How much would be saved if the IRS were abolished and we paid through sales' taxes? Maybe that's too simplistic, but the current system is ridiculous.
How great is it to be able to do taxes online? And I had the service deduct its fee from the return. Since I expected nothing, I still came out way ahead. God bless America.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment