Total Pageviews

Friday, February 18, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/18

It was one of my most frustrating days operating the floating bookshop, despite the gorgeous, spring-like weather. Lots of people stopped by, but no one bought. Even one of my regulars, a lovely middle-aged Russian couple, who buy books for their seven-year-old grandson, disappointed me. "No money," the woman said, and we both laughed. I said I'd be there until three and she said she would return. She did not. And I thought I had a sale at the last minute when an Asian woman on crutches seemed to be salivating over the three Danielle Steel hardcovers I have left. She said she would pick them up on her way back. Although I believed her, I know that 99.9% of those who say they will return do not. I was not going to wait and risk getting really pissed off. To cap off the shift, two women walked by staring, looking back, whispering to each other - and chose to keep walking. I wanted to scream. No one said it was going to be easy. Let's look at the positives: I stopped off for a couple of squares at Spumoni Gardens; Fringe is on tonight; and tomorrow we're off to Jersey to celebrate my great nephew's 14th birthday, albeit three weeks late. And my friend Arlynn's procedure went well. She was in and out of the hospital in less than half a day.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment