Total Pageviews

Friday, February 25, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/25

It was a rainy day in New York. The remaining snow piles are almost completely gone. The streets are a bit cleaner. It's a day closer to spring and daylight savings time, which will allow me to do a second shift and catch the folks coming from the Sheepshead Bay train station after work. I hope they will be as interested as last year. I find it hard to gauge the state of the economy through the floating bookshop, as I go through periods as long as a week without a sale. I'm seeing a lot of people make the trek to the .99 cents store on Coney Island Avenue, and returning laden with shopping bags. And the price of gasoline will soon begin to take its effect on consumer spending. I finally gave in and went to the ATM today. It was 24 days between visits. Last winter I may have gone twice. If the price of gas continues to go up, I will set up shop within walking distance of home, except on weekends. I just hope people don't get sick of seeing me. Even though I needed a day off from the disappointment of three days without sales, I missed being out there. Occasionally, the percentages work in one's favor. Maybe today was supposed to be the day. Bored, I must have read 100 pages of Lee Child's thriller, Bad Luck and Trouble. I'm impressed. I hope I'm not disappointed by the rest. Full report when I'm done.  I even did some tailoring of a nice pair of sweats my niece Isabel gave me for Christmas. They were way too long for a short-legged guy like me.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment