Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/29

The floating bookshop was open today, just up the street from my front door, at the corner bus stop. I had a wide berth, which allowed me to stay out of people's path. I was across the way from my usual winter spot. There wasn't enough room there until I returned with a shovel after closing up shop. There is a little nook at the corner of the apartment building there, a break in the narrow garden that surrounds the perimeter. I will go there tomorrow. It gets the sun from about noon to two. A lot of tricks are necessary in winter, especially a brutal one such as this. There are many long faces right now. It seems people don't want to be bothered and are anxious to get home, and who could blame them? Fortunately, I sold the Lil Reminder to an old Russian gentleman out for a stroll with his walker. The LR is a recording device designed to create a verbal shopping list. My friend Arlynn says it sells for eight or nine bucks in TV ads. I sold two for a dollar. It just seemed too flimsy to risk charging more and having a dissatisfied customer return and vent for all other potential customers to see. I under-sell everything, even my own books, although most people think ten bucks is a lot, and I suppose it is these days. 99% of those who stop want a bargain and, since all my other goods have been donated to me, I'm happy to oblige. I'm way behind last year's pace. At least my retirement accounts did well in 2010.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment