Total Pageviews

Monday, January 24, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/24

It was 10 degrees at 11:30 AM. I decided not to open the floating bookshop, although the sun was strong. I doubted anyone would stop today.
I read the op-ed page in the New York Post every day. It has a conservative bias I enjoy. At times I wonder if my anti-government sentiments are off base, then the pundits return me to my senses. George Will has always been a tough read for me. His arguments are dense. His vocabulary is vast. He forces one to work. In today's piece he was citing the work of the late Samuel Huntington in "American Politics: The Promise of Disharmony." He culled several gems. One in particular made such clear sense of the belief of limited government favored by the right: "If men are bad, government should be weak lest men put it to bad uses. If men are well-intentioned and reasonable, strong government is not necessary to control them, so 'government should be weak because men are good.'" I love the logic.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment