Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/13

After the last storm it took me three days to dig my car out. Today it took me five minutes. Although it's been really cold and windy, we've had brilliant sunshine, so we're getting some melt. People shovel the snow into the middle of the street, where it is crushed into mush by passing vehicles and evaporated by the sun. I might reopen the floating bookshop tomorrow, depending on the wind.
Here's the latest on the Made Man's magnum opus. My friend John sent the treatment to his friend Mike, whose career as a supporting player in films and guest star on TV is rock solid. Mike, who wishes to remain anonymous to the MM, asked to see more. The MM will not comply unless he knows who the actor in question is. I can understand the hesitancy of each. Mike wants to make sure the MM is legit and not a wannabe/fraud who will cause grief. The MM is wary of theft. He rejected the drug-addled co-star of  a long-running classic sitcom. And another actor, with whom I was unfamiliar, was stupid enough to try to steal the project. My feeling is that Mike should tell me to instruct the MM to contact his agent, which would allow him to continue to remain anonymous. The MM's writer, who is also his physician, has nearly 200 pages done. They expect two volumes. Stay tuned.
I went upstairs to see my friend Arlynn, who is housebound because of the snow. As I opened the door leading to the fourth floor, I listened for her birds. They were silent, as I was approaching solo, not in her company - until I rang the bell. The volume of their cackles increased with each passing moment. Apparently, they were upset with the intruder. Arlynn is in a tailspin because her biopsy revealed a malignancy the size of a lentil. She is a strong soul who refuses to give in to her afflictions. Her legs are in bad shape. Her knees press against one another when she walks. It seems amazing she is able to remain upright at all. She used to get about with a cane, but has used a walker since her fall more than a year ago. She sells items online. She once sold a rare book, which cost her two bucks at a yard sale, at amazon for $700+ - shades of The Antiques Roadshow! She has been selling the feathers her birds shed to fishing enthusiasts, who use them in the making of lures. The pain she suffers is obvious, but she doesn't surrender. She is an example to all of us.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment