Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/27

We got twice the snow than what was predicted, yet there are climatologists who insist they know what the weather will be like years from now. This time my car was only 80% buried. I removed the 16 inch pile from the hood, roof and trunk, and dug out a lane in front, which is directly before a driveway. I'm on the left hand side of the street, which means I should be safe from the plow, but who knows what home owners and other drivers will do with the snow. Right now the streets have a two-inch layer of ice. I guess the plows couldn't get beneath it. We had some sun today but not nearly enough to turn that slick carpet into mush. In the old snowball fight days in Brooklyn, we'd have called it good-packing snow, certain to hold together and inflict pain. This winter has reminded me of my freshman year at Western Michigan University, January 1970, when it seemed there were at least flurries every day. Of course, there's a lot more open space in Kalamazoo to put the stuff. Connecticut is having a real problem with this. Here in New York we have environmental restrictions that prevent the best solution - dumping it in the seas that surround us. I can't wait to see what Bay 37th looks like. There were still lots of snow mounds on the block even as of last Sunday, three weeks after the first big storm. Dare I use my car Saturday? Driving shouldn't be bad, but where will I park? In the past I'd park by the junior high on the next block, but three weeks ago that was impossible. I might have to shovel when I get there and return. I was very careful of my hip today. It's only a little sorer than it's been recently. This has been a tough winter - and we're only halfway through it! Help!
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment