Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/12

We got lucky in Brooklyn. There's only eight or so inches of snow on the ground, maybe even less. The streets are all plowed already. I guess the union boys were shamed into doing their job. I'm hoping to re-open the floating book shop very soon.
A Facebook friend recommended I set up a fan page. It never occurred to me before. I'm a little uncomfortable with it. Although I believe my work is worthy of a reader's investment, I wonder if I've earned the right to have such a listing. I've sold about 530 of my own books. Almost all the feedback has been positive. Still, I hesitate. Would 1000 make me worthy? 5000? I'm sure many friends and acquaintances who haven't read any of my work would "like" it because they like me personally. Wouldn't that give it an air of something forced, insincere? I don't want to be a phony. Am I making too much of it? After all, as is often said: One can't have too much publicity.
Here's some words of wisdom from, of all people, Dolly Parton, culled from a book compiled and edited by William Safire and Leonard Safir: "The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." Or snow, which has been the case lately.
Thanks to the folks at Toluna surveys for the $20 check, and at Quick Rewards for adding to my paypal coffers.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment