Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/18

The floating bookshop was rained out today.
How 'bout those Jets? I know this is a couple of days late, but sometimes more important matters take precedence. Are they on their way to doing what the Giants did three years ago? They've already knocked off mighty New England, the prohibitive favorite. It was the third biggest win in franchise history after the AFL championship game against the Raiders and Super Bowl III. Adding the thugs and blowhards has worked. Unfortunately, every team has them. Their next opponent, the Steelers, have Ben Rothelisberger, who is lucky not to be in jail, at quarterback. Good luck, Jets.
I've recently been going over a manuscript file I hadn't looked at since transferring it to disc at least ten years ago. It's about the supervisor of the Silver futures market and is based on my experiences at the madcap world of the exchange. It takes place in 1988, probably written about '89 or '90. I wonder who would believe the things that went on down there. It was as unique as a work place gets, perhaps the last bastion of freedom in a society that has cowed to political correctness. The futures markets are now a shell of their former selves, as electronic trading has diminished open outcry to approximately 20% of the total volume. There may be 80% less people on the floor compared to its heyday. I'm glad I wrote about it. I've forgotten who many of the fictional characters represent, but the experience remains unforgettable.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment