Total Pageviews

Friday, November 9, 2018

The Writer's Life 11/9 - Interesting Day

Our national curse has struck again - another mass shooting, and the same arguments follow. I don't know what the solution is. The anger is understandable and justified, but would a total gun ban work any better than Prohibition did or the War on Drugs has?

Broward County, Florida - SMH. Even the panhandle, which was devastated by the hurricane, submitted its election results on time.

I've completed the second of three scheduled proof-readings of the novel I plan to self-publish in January. It shrunk by about a page. Almost all of what I removed was from the female protagonist's point of view, and it wasn't much, so I decided to eliminate those instances entirely. Just about all of it remains in dialogue, anyway. My next move is to begin work on the cover. I have red in mind, but that may not be doable because using the free templates restricts options. Whatever - it's what's inside that counts, and I'm happy with it. After the first round on the cover, which will probably take less than an hour, I'll put the book aside until about December 1st. If it looks good after that proofing, I'll add page numbers and submit it to KDP. Then I will review a print copy. If there are errors, I will correct them and resubmit. I'll repeat that process until I'm confident most of the errors have been flushed.

Matt, the principal of a private school that caters to many special needs kids, stopped to chat, as he often has. Older than 70, a Vietnam vet who took a bullet there, he has worked in many fields and has been a money magnet, and generous to me. He owns a pizzeria and a cigar bar in Philadelphia. Today he shocked me by saying he is a recovered alcoholic. His low point was his early sixties. His weight dropped from 320 to 170 because he often went days without food. When I asked if he knew what was at the root of the problem, he shrugged and said his mom, who lived into her eighties, had the same problem. His dad is 101.

It was sprinkling throughout today's session of the floating book shop, which was again salvaged by the scaffold. My thanks to Ira, who gushed about the books he bought yesterday, and who today found four on home repair to his liking; and to the burly ex-con who purchased James Paterson's Quickie, co-written with Michael Ledwidge, and Mario Puzo's Fools Die, and three DVD's; and to the gentleman who selected a thriller in Russian; and to the local home attendant who chose a book on Italian cooking; and to the woman thrilled with an opened CD compilation of classical music and one strictly on Beethoven. Special thanks to the other ex-con, a co-resident of the Atlantic Towers co-op, who is reforming, becoming a drug counselor. He dropped off about 100 DVD's, half of the them karate movies. I always suspected he was the person who several times vandalized one of my former cars, as he often ridiculed me unprovoked. I never took the bait. I haven't had many physical altercations in my life, and challenging a burly guy like that, 20 years my junior, would have been disastrous. Anyway, I get the feeling he's atoning for past behavior. I still don't trust him, but I wish him the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment