Total Pageviews

Friday, November 23, 2018

The Writer's Life 11/23 - Life Is Good

Drones seem to have a checkered history, but here's an instance of 100% positivism from the Weird But True column in today's NY Post. University of Maryland researchers sent a kidney stored in a refrigerated box via the skies. It traveled at 42 MPH over three miles, potentially faster than an ambulance, and arrived in good shape.

Also on the medical front in a Post article: To no one's surprise, legislators are preparing a bill that would have marijuana covered by insurance. How much fraud will occur on this front? "I'm in pain, Doc. Better write me a prescription."

The pros and cons of NYC's deal with Amazon continue to be debated heatedly. I don't like that a billion dollar corporation has been given tax incentives to locate in a rich city, while other areas of the state are struggling mightily. Anyway, opponents have taken to the streets in a creative way. Here's a pic:


Is the economy headed for a big slowdown? Many experts seem to think so. Meanwhile, in a radio interview, I heard a Target exec gush that he expects the most holiday business ever in his 30+ years on the job. Of course, I realize he may be trying to generate biz, or that the slump may occur after the fourth quarter.

Lost in the holiday hubbub yesterday was the anniversary of JFK's assassination. I don't like that date to pass without a mention, although I don't recall having heard any new info or theories on it. I wonder if it is the most discussed event since that fateful day. It has certainly been a bonanza for the book business and those authors whose work took off.


It was about 20 degrees when I left the apartment at 11:15. I was in no hurry, as I was hoping the temperature would climb to the predicted 30 while I was operating the floating book shop. I'd worked in such cold many times. I wondered only if being another year older, 68, had weakened me to a point where I wouldn't be able to take it for very long. I'm not as young as the folks in the above photo. Fortunately, nothing seemed different. I stood in the sunshine in front of the Chase bank on Bay Parkway and 85th. There were six layers beneath my heavy winter coat. There was barely a breeze, and I was able to put in two+ hours with no problem. My thanks to the woman who bought two young adult books for her daughter, and to the one who purchased a pictorial on Chihuahuas; and to the one who selected two Christmas CD's; and to the young man who chose five; and to the one who found a Noel compilation by Jazz artists; and to the guy who bought a blue ray DVD of Phone Booth (2002). It was a fifth straight session of double digit returns, which I'm not sure has ever happened before. And my good luck continued at CVS, where the large bottle of Pepsi was on sale for .77 cents. I bought three, then headed to Delmar for a couple of slices. Life is good.
My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Vic-Fortezza/e/B002M4NLJE

No comments:

Post a Comment