Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 11, 2018

The Writer's Life 11/11 - Vets, a Cover & a Monster


Yesterday I worked on the cover of the novel I will self-publish in January. Fortunately, a red template was available. I wanted it for two reasons: the characters are on fire with sexual desire, and none of the covers of my other nine books is red. I'd had the blurb in my head for days, perhaps weeks. I don't think this will change much:


From various sources: A record has been set in Miami's Dade County. A 17-foot-five-inch python has been caught. It weighs 120 pounds. The hunter's hands were swollen from the bites he suffered during the capture of the female. The South Florida Water Management District pays eligible hunters $8.10 an hour to hunt Burmese Pythons on its vast landholdings, which encompass much of the Everglades, although not Everglades National Park. They get a $50 bonus for every beast measuring at least 4 feet, and $25 for each foot beyond. If my math is correct, the bonus here was $325. The creatures are not native to the region. They were dumped there and have multiplied, and have virtually wiped out all the raccoons, foxes and other small mammals that once thrived in the southern part of the area. PETA has complained about the way some have been killed - shot more than once. Maybe the organization should send its own members out to capture the beasts. Here's a pic: 


Why are wildfires so common to California and recounts to Florida?

I know better than to let myself believe that immediately landing the most favorite parking spot is a good omen for the floating book shop, which today was in Park Slope, allegedly the most literate neighborhood in Brooklyn. My thanks to the old-timer who bought two DVD's as I was setting up the display, and to the young man who purchased a Brain Busters puzzle book as I was breaking it down. I hardly put a dent in the inventory this weekend. I dread the thought of people dropping off more wares to my usual nook. Then again, I've yet to secure parking there, so I may have to go elsewhere manana

No comments:

Post a Comment