Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 24, 2018

The Writer's Life 11/24 - Book vs. Film

The book is almost always better than the movie. I liked the film version of Ken Kesey's One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) better than the novel, and also The Godfather Parts I & II versus the book. I add to that short list the adaptation of Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea (1993), which I watched last night courtesy of Netflix. I found that novel a very difficult read, which at this stage of my life perhaps reflects laziness or lack of focus on my part. How faithful is the film to the book? Very, if I recall correctly - which is a big if, especially since months have passed since I finished reading it. Since I chose the NC-17 version, there was more sex than the book contained. That didn't affect my opinion. I simply found the narrative, which is the back story to Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, a lot easier to follow on screen. And the location and characters were vivid on celluloid than in my imagination. Born in Tahiti, Karina Lombard was a natural for the role of Antoinette Cosway. The matinée idol looks of Nathaniel Parker were perfect for the young Rochester. Lombard has had a modest career since, mostly in TV. The classically trained Parker has done very well, mostly in BBC productions. Rachel Ward is excellent in her brief role as the mother who goes mad after her son is killed in a fire set by ex-slaves. Michael York brings his usual grace to his part as the step-father. In the role of Aunt Cora is Martine Beswick, twice a Bond girl: From Russia with Love (1963) and Thunderball (1965). John Duigan was at the helm. It was my first encounter with his work despite the fact that he has 25 titles as a director and 20 as a writer under his name at IMDb. Jan Sharp, who has only one other screenplay credit, and Carole Angier, her only writing credit, had the difficult task of adaptation. I was unable to find the cost of production, which was probably modest, but I suspect the film was a box office flop, as it brought in only $1.6 million worldwide. 1000+ users at IMDb have rated it, forging to a consensus of 5.8 on a scale of ten. It runs only 1:38. Those who object to screen nudity should pass or opt for the R version. There is also a 2006 BBC production whose rating is 5.6 and runs less than an hour-and-a-half. Here's a pic of the stars cropped from a German movie poster:


I can't resist. Here's a still of Martine Beswick as a gypsy in From Russia with Love, her screen debut, as she is about to square off with an equally beautiful rival over the affections of a man. It didn't take much to inflame my hormones back then. That scene sent them into warp drive.


The five-session streak of double digit returns ended today. My thanks to the dignified elderly woman who bought a book in Russian, and to Monsey, who insisted on paying for three Christmas CD's and a self help book despite the fact that she donated seven hardcovers to the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment