Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 3, 2018

The Writer's Life 11/3 - Billboards

I don't mind bleak films as long as the story is compelling. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017), which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar left me unimpressed. I caught up to it last night courtesy of Netflix. The basis of an enthralling tale is there but lost in cliches and stereotypes. I looked forward to it because I'd recently re-watched In Bruges (2008), which was also written and directed by Britain's Martin McDonagh, and which I love. Three Billboards... is the story of an angry middle aged mom devastated by the rape and murder of her daughter and the failure of authorities to solve the crime. She buys space on the billboards to send a message to the police, hoping the investigation will be rekindled. Mayhem ensues. The actors are terrific. Frances McDormand won her second Oscar for her performance, and Sam Rockwell won Best Supporting Actor in what I thought was a thankless role until I read of the praise he received. To me, Woody Harrelson outdid them both as the cancer-stricken Sheriff. To my surprise, the flick is described at IMDb as "Comedy, Crime, Drama." There certainly is humor, much of it provided by Peter Dinklage - diminutive in stature, enormous in talent - but to call it a comedy, even in terms of black comedy, seems egregious. Users at IMDb disagree with me entirely. 289,000+ rate Three... 8.2 on a scale of ten. I rate it five. I'm sure my political and personal beliefs influenced me. Anyone turned off by grim subject matter and despicable behavior should pass. The movie runs just short of two hours. Here's a still from it: 


The floating book shop had only two buyers todays, but both went to town. My thanks to the gentleman who purchased 14 books in Russian, and to the other who found 15 works of non-fiction to his liking - in English. It was the most profitable session in a long while, and third straight above average.

Here are a couple of more billboards:



No comments:

Post a Comment