Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/25

I ran across a wonderful tidbit in today's NY Post. Dominican-born Miguel Batista, who has spent 17 seasons in the big leagues, has a second profession - writing. He's had a book of poetry published, Sentimientos en Blanco y Negro, and also a thriller, The Avenger of Blood (2006), and has another on the way. Wow. Muy bien, senor. Batista has a record of 101-112 and has had 41 saves. He has played for many teams and is currently on the Mets' roster. He has his own separate trivia category: What man has won 100 games in MLB, has had 41 saves, and has had three books published? His thriller is available at Amazon.


Diane Mott Davidson has had 16 mysteries published, all featuring Goldy, a caterer whose sideline is investigating murders in her small Colorado town. Silly premise, but the author makes it work. I've just finished the seventh in the series, The Grilling Season, which was intricately plotted. I did not guess who the killer was. I have many of the other novels, donated by Joanne. When I picked this one up I was afraid it would be too light, but that was not the case. There is plenty of darkness, which affects even the heroine's 14 year-old son. She does her best thinking while cooking. The writing and dialogue are solid. Throughout the narrative there are recipes, ten in all, for the mouth-watering dishes she concocts. If I were married to someone like her, I'd weigh a thousand pounds. On a scale of five, I rate The Grilling Season three.
After a week of good luck, the floating book shop was rained out today.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment