Total Pageviews

Monday, March 19, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/19

Last night I couldn’t find anything interesting on TV on any of my favorite channels between eight and nine PM. I clicked outside the box and found an interesting segment focusing on Oklahoma Republican Senator James Inhofe’s opposition to the Cap and Trade environmental law, whose costs to the economy would have been between three and four billion dollars. It led him to study the global warming issue, whose science he found dubious. He was well prepared for the questions that came his way, frequently referring to copious notes he’d brought. His arguments were sound. He pointed out that Time magazine had run covers 20 years apart warning of environmental doom. To my delight, they were easy to find. Here they are:






The Seattle Seahawks have signed QB Matt Flynn to a 26 million dollar contract. Flynn has started one game in his NFL career. He made the best of it, passing for more than 400 yards and several touchdowns in relief of Aaron Rodgers of the Packers. I hope he does well, but that is an awful lot of money to risk on the basis of one game.
My final four teams, Ohio St., Michigan St., Kentucky and North Carolina, are alive. I’m six points behind the leader, but I’ve blown a lot of points in the elimination of Missouri and Kansas St. I probably will have to have no mistakes the rest of the way to have a shot at winning. It’s so odd. I haven’t watched more than a few minutes of the coverage, but I enjoy the pool so much.
My literary angel, Victoria Valentine, took care of me again, accepting my golf story, Up and Down, for her next Literary House anthology. It takes place in late spring of the year of the first bombing of the World Trade Center, which our foursome experienced first hand, one more closely than the rest of us.
Today is St. Joseph’s Day. This is how it is celebrated in Italian-American households:



The floating bookshop had a great day. Not only did regulars Brent and Mr. Almost make purchases, several other people did as well, including Marie, who bought her second copy of A Hitch in Twilight. She was halfway through the first when, to her chagrin, it went missing, probably at the office of her tax preparer in Manhattan. I was humbled by her praise.
Thanks, folks.
I also got a visit from Bob Rubenstein, who proudly showed me his copy of his second novel, The White Bridge. It's beautiful. Like me, he is waiting for the delivery of 30 books. It is nerve-wracking.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment