Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/14

I can't do without the New York Post. It was late this morning. I decided to wait. One thing the computer can't replace for me is the printed word, books, especially a newspaper. I start from the back and take about an hour to get through it. The Post has a conservative bias. The Daily News has a liberal one. It just doesn't do it for me. As I was waiting beside the newsstand, a middle age woman familiar to the neighborhood was seated on a milk box nearby, smoking, panhandling, shaking a cup filled with change at passersby. She soon rose and approached the newsstand, where she bought a scratch off lottery ticket. Tobacco and gambling on the public's dime - nice work if you can get it.
The Knicks have hit the skids. Last month they were the rage, the franchise revived by the play of Jeremy Lin, who sparked them to seven straight wins. Now they have suffered a complete reversal of fortune, winning only two of their last eight games. Curiously, the slump has coincided with the return from injury of their most talented player, Carmelo Anthony. Many had speculated he would not fit into the new up tempo offense. He seems to prefer the half court game. The back page of the Post reported he had demanded a trade, only 13 months after his dream of becoming a member of the team he'd followed as a youth had come true. Now Yahoo Sports has reported that Coach Mike D'Antoni, who has been unable to make any headway with the team, has resigned. I guess Melo will rescind his demand. One can always count on pro sports for comedy.
It was another gorgeous day in this winter that wasn't. The hedges have already begun to bud. I've heard there will be at least one consequence to the unusual weather - a lot of bugs. I saw a swarm of them hovering about a bush as I accompanied a friend on a walk. Hopefully it will be one of those predictions that don't come true.
The proletariat was out in force today. I sold eight books, all in Russian. Spasibo, ladies and gentlemen.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment