Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/3

It was an exciting day. I gave the proof copy of Killing to my sister, Carmela. She was thrilled. She'd had no idea it was coming. She wanted to pay for it, bless her heart. I thank my niece, Luci, for keeping the secret.
I just went over the latest update of the file. Of the 15 corrections I submitted, 14 were perfect. One had a double period. I could have let it go, but figure there must be a few others I failed to spot, so it's best to get it as clean as possible. I emailed Victoria and gave her the go ahead to start the printing process. I will order 30 copies and anticipate having them week after next.
Last night I watched The Woman in Green (1945), a Sherlock Holmes film starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. It ran on NET, an evangelical channel that plays old movies on the weekend. Hilary Brooke played the femme fatale. Baby boomers will recognize her as Lou's girlfriend on The Abbott and Costello Show. She was born in Astoria, Queens, and adopted a British accent to separate herself from other Hollywood blondes.
There is yet another adaption of Sherlock Holmes coming to TV. It will give traditionalists agita. The beautiful Lucy Liu, who has the best taste in clothing of any female star I've ever seen, will play Dr. Watson. I will not make the mistake of pre-judging it as I did the latest BBC production, which is quite good. In that one, Watson is an Iraq War veteran. I don't understand why the shows simply don't say the characters are the grandchildren of Holmes and Watson or distant nephews and nieces.
The skies cleared just in time to open the floating bookshop. I thank Bad News Billy, who purchased three VHS tapes and a huge book on human anatomy a gentleman had just donated. He was on his way to do his taxes. Naturally, he is in hock to the IRS. I don't understand the way some people live.
I also thank the nice young couple who asked if I wanted a bag of books they had in the trunk of their car, which included a lot of self-help, The DaVinci Code and Bram Stoker's Dracula. I have way more books than I need, given the current market.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment