Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/22

Al Qaeda in Yemen has murdered an American teacher, accusing him of proselytizing, spreading Christianity. A Muslim terrorist in France murdered a Rabbi, three children, and several soldiers. And yet there are Americans who believe the surveillance of Muslims must cease.
It was a joyous day at the floating bookshop. Al, a local beat poet, picked up his copy of Killing, for which he'd made a deposit a week ago. He promised to give it a shot, although he doesn't read much. Don't laugh - many writers don't read anything besides their own work. They simply don't have the time or energy. Al is off to Cincinnati for a couple of weeks to see his in-laws. That might give someone reason to crack open a book.
I learned a little bit about Moses, who has donated a lot of books to me. He married twice, moved to Texas each time, and wound up divorcing. I suggested he stay here if he again tied the knot. He laughed.
Just before I was about to close, my favorite anarchist, Bob Rubenstein, showed with the final payment for my editing of The White Bridge - a signed copy of it. It is off to a flying start at Amazon. He has assigned it to the class he teaches on racism at Touro College. His blog got 700 hits yesterday. This kid is going places. He thanked me for helping him start a literary career so late in life. He's in his late 60's. I look forward to reading the novel for pleasure, although I always find it difficult to shut off the editor in me, no matter what book I may be reading. Bob was also kind enough to purchase a copy of Killing, and laughed when I showed him the glossary of Brooklyn Sicilian terms at the back of the book.
Mr. Almost was unable to resist a Russian translation of an Alexandre Dumas novel with which we were both unfamiliar. His shelves will soon be bursting. The book, and another, had been donated an hour earlier by Michael, who lives a few floors above me. In exchange, I told him to take any Russian book that struck his fancy. He laughed, perhaps at my lack of business sense. "I bring back," he said, selecting one that had a revolver emblazoned on the cover.
Thanks, gentlemen.
My bank statement had good news too. Amazon sent me royalties payment for the Kindle copies of Killing that have sold. Only $16 and change, but every little bit helps.
Mr. Morty again stopped by. He was in a hurry. His son in law was waiting for him. The guy drove up from the Mississippi gulf coast to buy a boat in disrepair. His hobby is to repair and sell. He'll drive all the way home with it hooked to his car. He'll also be taking two boxes of china Morty is giving his daughter. Leave it to him to find a way to save money. "It woulda cost me a hundred dollars to ship 'em," he told me.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment