Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/15

I entered only one NCAA pool this year, at the WOR AM radio website. The price was right - free. I'm not even sure what the prizes are. I chose practically all the top seeds throughout, picking only Syracuse to lose a second round game. While they've had a great year on the court, they've had a tough one off it, and now one of its best players, Fab Melo, has been declared ineligible. Basketball is not my strong suit. In nearly 25 years at the Exchange I never won anything that had to do with it. I may have won at least once per season picking pro football. Pools were one of the things that made work tolerable.
An old Russian gentleman pushing a walker stopped by the floating bookshop, attracted to a book that had Hitler and Stalin on the cover. He seemed old enough to have been an eyewitness to the carnage in the Soviet Union during World War II. 70 million were killed during WWII, 30 million in the Soviet Union alone. 4,300,000 Nazi soldiers perished, 10,600,000 Russians, which means nearly 15 million civilians died. Those are staggering figures. In contrast, we lost 416,000 servicemen, and about 2000 citizens working overseas. And the only bombs that fell on the U.S. mainland were on Oregon forests in September 1942, dropped from planes catapulted into the air from streamlined Japanese submarines. Damage was minimal. The enemy had to abort the project as the tide of war turned against them and all their firepower was needed in the Pacific theater. I had not known this until a recent documentary was aired on PBS. I got the war deaths stats at Wiki, and clarification of the bombing on U.S. soil at Historynet.com. 
I thank the old gentleman for purchasing that book, the five other customers who bought, and the 84-year-old WWII vet, who donated several books, including an audio book by the prolific Nora Roberts.
The 30 copies of Killing I've ordered are due tomorrow. I will probably be on edge until they are in my hands. My mind runs rampant. What if it's delayed after I've told so many people it will be available soon? What if they get lost? What if Newman steals them? Maybe he's retired by now. Why didn't I keep my mouth shut?
The forecast is for possible showers. The two factors may keep me home.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment