Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/6

15 years or so ago, I bought shares of AOL, which was soon taken over by Time Warner. That proved to be fortuitous, as AOL began hemorrhaging customers, becoming an albatross for those who'd owned TW and a money-saver for those of us who'd bet on the internet portal. Eventually, TW split into two units, creating a TWC. Then they dumped AOL, which is trading independently again. So I now have 73 shares of TW, which pays dividends. Today I sold the 17 of TWC, which did not pay dividends. I have seven shares of AOL. It's gotten so complicated that I'm not sure how much I am down on the original purchase, but it is a lot less than it was. I've been expecting a major correction in the stock market. I hope I'm wrong.
When I went out for my daily walk this morning, I noticed a glint out of the corner of my eye on the opposite side of Avenue Z. Apparently, a vehicle had taken out the sides of the bus shelter. Glass was strewn along the sidewalk and street. It looked as if there'd been a hale storm. During the hot months, I set up shop just to the left of it, taking advantage of the shade cast by the apartment building right behind it. I've also thought the shelter might protect me if a car or bus happened to jump the curb, or at least give me time to get out of the way. Here's a picture of what it looked like before the clean up crew arrived, courtesy of the Sheepshead Bay Bites website:

The crew arrived a few minutes after I set up the floating bookshop. The building's maintenance staff had already swept up the sidewalk along the property. Everyone was amazed the crew had come the same day of the event. The truck did not have any MTA logos, so I assume the job was delegated to a private company, which would explain the speed of response. They did a great job. When they were done it almost seemed as if the thing had been installed without side walls. Many speculated as to what had happened. The most common guess was young Russian men speeding.
I sold nine books today. Seven were in Russian. Thanks, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment