Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/11

Ayn Rand wrote two of the most influential works of the 20th century: The Fountainhead (1943) and Atlas Shrugged (1957), novels in which the protagonists represent her philosophy of Objectivism. I believe they are great books, although not necessarily great novels. I recommend the first, as its ideas are basically the same as the second, and done in almost half the length. Rand described Objectivism as: "… the concept of man being heroic, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."(Wiki) She was born in Russia, which she left in the 1920's. She immediately fell in love with the New York skyline and all it represented. She was an ardent defender of laissez faire capitalism. Last night I watched the film version of part one of Atlas Shrugged. I loved it. I suspect those who share her beliefs would admire the film and those who are appalled by them would not. I believe capitalism is the best economic system because it is in line with human behavior. Since I first read Rand, I ask myself: How does this relate to the self? - whenever I'm puzzled by an issue. Whether we want to admit it or not, we are all motivated by self interest. A loving mom will nurture her kids because it is essential to her self image. A negligent one will place her own interests first. The screenwriters, John Aglialoro and Brian Patrick O'Toole, set the action in the near future, in an America stifled by government regulation and mired in economic decline. It is a cautionary tale that bears aspects of fantasy. How refreshingly adult to view one on something other than environmental paranoia. The only faces in the cast familiar to me were Jon Polito and Michael Lerner, wonderful character actors who portray political hacks. The main storyline concerns the disappearance of ingenious industrialists, those one-percenters whose work feeds the world. They are being recruited to a new Atlantis by a shadowy figure, often referred to in the line: "Who is John Galt? Essentially, they've gone on strike. The heroine, played by Taylor Schilling, who runs a railroad company her father built and her brother's kowtowing to politicians threatens to destroy, is infuriated by the deserters, calling them "quitters." She retreats to Colorado, the last self-sustaining state in the union, to run an off-shoot firm. Unfortunately, politicians scheme to create equality of outcome. Of course, the story has its faults. The world has shrunk to a degree that there would be virtually nowhere for such a group to go except Mars. Even if they found a place on Earth, such men would create a society so successful it would have to expand. It would eventually need the rest of the world. And, if it refused to help, it would probably be attacked.
I wonder if the participants will suffer backlash from Hollywood, be denied work in the film industry. Kudos to director Paul Johansson, who doubles as Galt, cinematographer Ross Berryman, and the producers, who brought this important work to life. It couldn't have been more timely. I look forward to part two. The special features had a section that showed people who sent the producers clips of themselves saying: "I am John Galt." I wish I could include myself among them. Does running the floating bookshop qualify me? Even if it did, come July 25th I will begin receiving Social Security payments, which would disqualify me. I live off the fruits of the one-percent, like the rest of the 99% do. It is a humbling thought that happens to be true.
I thank the kind folks who purchased books today on Bay Parkway, and congratulate my friend Johnny Feets, who just completed a brief run in the off-Broadway farce, Social Anxiety.
Great news: Killing is now available at Amazon, $15+: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3

No comments:

Post a Comment