Total Pageviews

Friday, March 23, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/23

Alexandre Dumas wrote The Count of Monte Cristo in 1846. Last night I watched the 2002 film version starring Jim Caviezel, courtesy of Netflix. I really enjoyed it. Although screenwriter Jay Wolpert changed some things, it remains a great story, the kind that Hollywood doesn't do any more. He discussed the changes in the Special Features. Kevin Reynolds, who directed Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves ('91) and Waterworld (95), gave a much better account of himself with this timeless tale of betrayal and revenge. I chuckled at the appearance of the ultimate urbanite, Manhattan-raised Luis Guzman, who was born in Puerto Rico and has specialized in playing sleazeballs, although he was once a social worker and is the father of five. Although his performance was uneven, it did not hurt the film, which is also notable as one of Richard Harris' last. He does his usual magic in the role of "Priest." Of course, Dumas' most famous work is The Three Musketeers (1844), the most well-plotted novel I've ever read, remade umpteen times by filmmakers, as recently as 2011. I remember watching an exciting 1975 TV version of The Count of Monte Cristo that starred Richard Chamberlain. More than 150 years after they were written, Dumas' works still fascinate. Wow.
He's a picture of Luis Guzman. Any movie buff will recognize him.



Well, it looks like any chance I had of winning this year's NCAA pool has gone up in smoke after Michigan St. was eliminated last night, and Syracuse, who I had losing in round two, continues to win. Wait 'til next year.
My luck continued today at the floating book shop. The Merry Mailwoman bought three Sue Grafton thrillers before I'd even set up. An Asian man donated two how-to books on tiling, which a man bought a while later. Lev, who has purchased several books in Russian, was drawn to A Hitch in Twilight. When I told him I was the author, he asked what it was about, then bought. Marie was delighted to hear about that. She raved about one of its stories, Button, which she'd just finished. And my good fortune was not done. As I was loading the crates into my trunk, a young black woman, who has purchased books in bulk from me several times, approached. She is one of my favorite customers because her taste is so eclectic. With that in mind, I asked what she was interested in today. "Murder," she said. We laughed. She bought four mysteries and two spiritual books.
Thanks, folks.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment