Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The Writer's Life 1/9 - Stalemate

Should Trump declare a national emergency to trigger funding for the southern border wall? It must be so tempting, but such a move may have unintended consequences in the form of a future leftist president doing the same regarding his ideals. The stalemate is fascinating and irksome at once. The only thing that might get Dems to cave is polling showing an overwhelming majority of Americans want the wall. I doubt support will ever be higher than 55%. I hope Trump prevails, but the swamp almost always gets its way. I love that he walked out on a meeting with Dems today, dubbing it a waste of time. He was elected to be different, and he has been all that so far.


Kudos to NSA chief John Bolton for demanding a promise from Turkey's President Erdogan not to attack the Kurds as a condition of America's withdrawal from Syria. The Kurds have been our second-staunchest ally in the region. The worry is that their most radical faction will cause trouble. Maybe, but they deserve our protection until proven otherwise.

Here's a surprise from a brief item in today's NY Post. MLB payrolls actually went down in 2018, reduced by $18 million by salaries lost to suspensions for drug use and domestic violence. The last time there was a drop was 2010. Don't expect a reduction in ticket prices or TV packages.

I've made 22 changes in the first 233 pages of the file of Inside out. The latest is the splitting of another paragraph. This book has seen way more of that than any of my others. I should be done tomorrow. Then I will order a third proof copy and hope it will be virtually error-free.

I hated to surrender the perfect parking spot, but a gale was blowing through my usual nook, so I took the book shop to Bay Parkway, where the Chase bank blocked the wind. My thanks to Bad News Billy, who purchased three more young adult novels, the lone buyer for the umpteenth time since I started selling stuff on the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment