Total Pageviews

Monday, January 7, 2019

The Writer's Life 1/7 - Men & Their Pursuits

In watching game highlights of wild card weekend on youtube, the only one of the four teams that was impressive was the Colts. Will they beat New England on the road? Now that would really be impressive... The Ravens were 6-1 down the stretch with Lamar Jackson at QB. Everyone raved about his blend of passing and rushing, which was so problematic for defenses. Now many are excoriating him for his woeful performance yesterday. What have you done for me lately? That mantra has been a constant throughout sports' history... Although the Chargers did not look particularly good, they took another step toward erasing their woeful ways. I doubt they'll win in Kansas City, but they have a shot given Andy Reid's playoff history, and the way things always seem to work out for the Patriots, who will host the AFC championship, provided they win, if the Chiefs lose... The Eagles continue to thrive under backup QB Nick Foles, although they were awfully lucky yesterday when Chicago's potential game-winning FG hit the upright. It's hard not to feel sorry for the kicker, despite his salary... Jason Garrett's Cowboys enjoyed a rare playoff win. While I believe they will make a good showing in New Orleans, I'd be shocked if they won. Of course, stranger things have happened. Just ask Bears' PK Cody Parkey:


I'm halfway through the second proof copy of Inside Out. So far I've made 14 changes. At least half involve the creation of a new paragraph. Late this morning, for the first time on this particular book, I felt my concentration slip. If I want to avoid more than a third proof, I better bear down.

I expected it to be a lot colder than it was. The sunshine on Bay Parkway took the bite out of the mid-30's chill. My thanks to the young mom who bought two children's books in Russian; and to the woman who selected three paperbacks; and to the gentleman who was looking for something to help improve his English and purchased a young adult thriller at my recommendation; and to the middle age woman who chose a paperback in Russian; and to Bad News Billy, who opted for three young adult books. He's very upbeat, as he's received a couple of feelers regarding his patent idea for a device that helps roofers. Wisely, he is leery of walking away with a mere pittance. I suggested he not sign anything unless he's absolutely sure of himself. Meanwhile, he was moaning about having to withdraw money so his granddaughter could get a $25 manicure. He said I may not have to be selling books any longer - if he gets rich. He doesn't understand that I'll be doing it until I either die or go completely daft, although I will probably eventually go back to trying to sell only my own works. I hope he scores big. He's a kind soul who deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment