Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Writer's Life 1/16 - Dolly & Others

RIP Carol Channing, 97, that bundle of positive energy. Dolly has gone away, but her fans will never forget her. Her page at Wiki lists 28 Broadway shows in which she appeared, most of them as the star. She won a Tony in 1964 for her signature performance. In an awesome bit of trivia, she was the first celebrity to perform at a Super Bowl halftime show, 1970. Thank you, madam.


So Chris Christie has written a book. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't flop. According to an article in today's NY Post, he blames Jared Kushner for his being frozen out of the Trump administration. Talk radio host Mark Simone, a personal friend of the president, says it is bull. He attributes the banishment to when Christie went MIA during the Billy Bush scandal. During a past visit to Trump Tower, Simone noticed a sheet of paper that had a list of names on it on Trump's desk, and asked what it was. It was those who went missing when Trump went bankrupt in the early '90's. He doesn't forget betrayal... Also from Simone, he is referring to Jeff Bezos' new woman as "The Sir Edmund Hillary of Social Climbers."


I use the word "alright" a few times in Inside Out, the novel I will be publishing soon. I wondered whether it should be "all right," so I googled it. The reply was something like "It's not all right to use alright" in prose, but it is permissible in dialogue. I've used "awright" through the years for those characters with heavy Brooklyn accents... Through 157 pages of the third proof of IO, I've spotted seven errors, the latest a missing quotation mark at the start of a sentence. I've also found another paragraph that needs to be broken in two.

No sales today, but I received donations on three fronts. My thanks to the woman who gave me a mix of soft and hardcovers in Russian and English, and to the gentleman who forked over a number of paperbacks in Russian; and to the staff of our co-op, who put aside a cache that includes classics, which were in short supply in the current inventory, which is once again as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment