Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/30

Since the street paving crew was working right beside my usual sunny nook, I had to move the floating bookshop to my warm weather spot, which is in the shade of a six-story apartment building. Fortunately, it wasn't that cold, despite the wind, but I decided to cut business by an hour to be on the safe side. I was immediately rewarded when a young man who works with the handicapped approached. I told him I had a copy of Introducing Rousseau. "Jean Jacques Rousseau?" he said in his islands' accent, eyes wide. He is pursuing a Masters in Philosophy.
A few minutes later Big Al the Beat Poet appeared. I hadn't seen him in weeks. He does not venture out much in the cold. I loaned him my friend Carlos' poetry CD, Written in Pain, and he purchased Desert Moon, The Lost Poetry of Victoria Valentine, my literary angel. I have a signed copy on my shelf.
Later, Alan visited and had trouble finding something to his liking. Knowing his penchant for mysteries, I suggested Dick Francis' Straight. "I'll try it," he said.
I was happy to see John approaching. I told him I'd posted Killing directly to Kindle, and he's working on posting one of his own novels, an indictment of the war on drugs. He questions me every day. I'm happy to help. He purchased Close to the Edge a couple of years ago and I always feel indebted to anyone who takes a chance on one of my books. He's frustrated, as the formatting of the test copy isn't right. I made suggestions and offered to make a house call if he continued to have problems. John is amazed at the number of people who greet me in passing. The other day I counted 20.
As I was packing up, I put aside Laurie Halse Anderson's Winter Girls, which I intended to read. It'd been ignored. Since the jacket was missing, I was clueless as to its content and what to tell potential customers. Sure enough, a man with a heavy Russian accent spotted and bought it. Such delightful oddities make life so special.
Thanks, folks.
Please remember that the packaging of Close to the Edge and A Hitch in Twilight at Amazon qualifies one for free shipping, $35.63+tax. Edge takes place almost entirely in Brooklyn. Many of the stories in Hitch take place in Brooklyn.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment