Total Pageviews

Friday, November 11, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/11

11/11/11 - today we honor those who have enabled our liberty, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice. They have safeguarded the right of free speech of all Americans, including the likes of me and the yahoos at Penn St. who protested the firing of a football coach rather than the rape of a ten-year-old. I guess we can expect them to join OWS as soon as they finish college. Their sense of entitlement and privilege is staggering. God bless our veterans and all our armed forces serving here and overseas.
I've spoken of our stellar porter, Frankie, many times. Yesterday I found out why he limps. As a young man he took up arms, supplied by Americans, in his native Dominican Republic when the Cubans were up to no good there. He said the streets of Santo Domingo were filled with bodies. A bullet shattered the upper bones in his left leg. A metal rod was inserted. He was only 16 at the time. Kudos, mi hermano.
I caught up to Source Code (2011) last night, courtesy of Netflix. It is an effective, if familiar thriller, involving time travel and parallel universes, starring Jake Gyllenhal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright, and directed by Duncan Jones, a Brit. I've always been at once intrigued by and skeptical of the theory of parallel universes, which Fringe covers so well. It's not that I don't believe they exist. I find it hard to believe they are only slightly different than ours. It seems that slight differences over thousands of years would lead to a world completely unrecognizable from ours. Then again, what do I know. Science was my worst subject. On a scale of five, I rate Source Code three.
Thanks to the kind ladies who purchased books today in Park Slope. I layered-up to fight off the stiff wind. When I got back to the neighborhood, I went to Delmar for a couple of slices. On the way home, I passed Waj's gyro truck. Ali Baba was holding another books donation from the 84-year-old WWII vet. Thanks, gentlemen.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment