Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/15

It's been a while since I've looked forward to an athletic event as much as this Thursday night's clash between the Jets and Broncos, led by Tim Tebow, who I enjoyed watching when he was quarterbacking the Florida Gators to a national championship. Never has a player's skills attracted such controversy. Many believe his ability to pass, the most important requisite of an NFL QB, is lacking. Maybe it is. Time will tell. I do know one thing - he has the heart of a lion. I will always root for someone like him. He is a coach's dream. I sense many of his detractors want to see him fail because he is a devout Christian, as if there's something wrong with that. Maybe they would respect him more after a few brushes with the law or if he impregnated several women. Although elites deny it, it's been open season on Christianity for years. The Brooklyn Museum is at it again, hosting an exhibit that features a four minute film wherein ants crawl over an image of Jesus, this only a few years after showcasing a painting of the Virgin at which excrement had been hurled. And we all remember the intellectually stimulating Piss Christ. Perhaps such masterpieces are simply beyond the grasp of yahoos like me. The fact that the exhibits are funded by tax payers is infuriating. In this case, free speech is not free. I'm still waiting for one of these cowards to depict The Prophet under such circumstances, but that would be politically incorrect, while Christian-bashing is not. For the record, I'm agnostic, but I respect those who believe. I wish I believed. I might be as forgiving as Tebow is.
I had fun at the floating bookshop today. A tall Russian gentleman who has a fondness for thrillers bought three more and donated one. A teacher's aid purchased three more, and three other people ponied up - and the 84-year-old veteran donated four. And I was visited by two regular characters: Political Man, who segued smoothly from Republican-bashing to how peanuts, which he loves, inflame his hemorrhoids, and Jack, protest placard in hand, who was stunned when I told him the Occupy Wall Street crowd had been dispersed. His electricity has been turned off. He hasn't paid his bill in months. Maybe he's hoping tax-payers will pick up the tab.
Thanks, folks.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment