Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/22

A dreary day was made glorious by the generosity of the public. I wasn't even two-thirds set up when a young man started pulling books from the first crate, addressing me in Russian, not an unreasonable assumption in the neighborhood. He bought Stieg Laarsen's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye, and a Patricia Cornwell thriller. A while later a Russian woman bought a Sandra Brown and accepted my recommendation of Sue Grafton and Robin Cook. Spasiba, folks.
I quickly had more than enough dough for a couple of slices at Delmar. Then the fun really started. A young man wearing an Israeli Army hat stopped, drawn by three hard cover books I had on display about that country. He scoffed at the one by Jimmy Carter. I laughed. He introduced himself as Mark, a Special Ed. teacher at Sheepshead Bay H.S., which has gone steadily downhill for years. He said 75% of his students are there to disrupt the 25% who want to learn, and he gets no support from his superiors in terms of disciplining the malefactors, which is no surprise in this age of coddling. He's working on a Master's in nutrition, hoping to stay in the system because of its great salary and benefits, but in another capacity. He asked my position on Israel. "I am a staunch supporter," I said, the truth. There's no doubt in my mind who the villains are, and it's not the little hole in the wall democracy surrounded by despotic states eager for its destruction. Anyway, Mark was kind enough to purchase A Hitch in Twilight and chose the other two books on Israel as his gift. Hang in there, sir, and thanks.
Soon my friend, actor-singer Johnny Feets, appeared, as promised. Last time I saw him he asked if I'd ever written a play. I had - for an old friend, John, and his acting company, The Willow Cabin Theatre, which had modest success in '80's, doing plays in the tiny theaters on 42nd Street below 8th Avenue. The work, originally titled Glimpses of Two Families, changed to The Pace of Time, was never produced. It stretches out over decades and doesn't have the tight focus of successful plays. While rummaging I also found a TV script I'd completely forgotten, done for a Fox anthology that involved Martin Scorsese. The show, surprisingly, was terrible and was canceled quickly. The teleplay, Not So Black and White, deals with race relations. It was returned to me unopened. If I recall correctly, it was because work was accepted only through agents. I suggested to Feets that he look at a story of mine available online, One Billionth of a Lifetime. I've always believed it could easily be transformed into a 20-25 minute teleplay. I also think it may be the best thing I've ever written. I gave Feets copies of the works and a link to the story. Good luck, buddy.
And my own luck was not done. Marin, a middle-aged Romanian gentleman, purchased Close to the Edge and asked if I'd be interested in reading something he wrote. I was hesitant and hoped he wasn't insulted. My immediate thought was: Suppose I don't like it? I encouraged him to take a shot, said he had nothing to lose and everything to gain, my usual spiel to writers just starting out. I told him not to be discouraged by criticism, as some of the most successful writers in the world are scoffed at by reviewers. He asked if I'd look at a couple of chapters. I agreed, but I hope he gets cold feet. Good luck, sir, and thanks.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment