Total Pageviews

Friday, April 8, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/7

Since I'd lost that  batch of books last week, I'd run low on the mystery/thrillers people love so much. I planned to pick up one of the two bags remaining in the basement of my old house, left there by my sister and niece. Well, I don't have to. One of the porters of the huge apartment building that stands between East 13th and Homecrest Avenue, left off sweeping the sidewalk and approached me. I thought he was going to say that management had told him to tell me to get lost. Instead, he offered me books, and minutes later returned with two clear, large plastic bags filled with the work of the most popular authors. The hardcovers were in pristine condition. I immediately began laying them out along the ledge of the garden that guards the building between 13th and Sheepshead Bay Road. I spotted Herb, one of my regulars, across the street. He'd stopped by about an hour ago and found nothing to his liking. His eyes spread when he saw the new batch. Among them was David Baldacci's Deliver us from Evil, which he'd been seeking for a long time. Thank you, sir.
Soon it started to sprinkle. Now the problem was - and a good one to have - how to carry all the stuff? I was reluctant to leave anything behind even for a few minutes, seeing what had happened to the books I'd inadvertently left behind last week. Suddenly the solution dawned on me. I've seen many Asians tie heavy grocery bags together and sling them across the shoulder. It worked like a charm. My only worry was what the weight would do to my hip, which seems to be getting better bit by tiny bit. I'm happy to say that it did not sustain any new damage. I must have been a silly sight to those in the area. Well, we all need comic relief. My trunk is now crammed with books.
Thanks to the other kind folks who bought books and CDs today, which also marked my first payment from my friend Arlynn. How refreshing it will be not to have to worry about every dollar for the next five weeks.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment