Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/6B

Arlynn had her first radiation treatment today. She spent all night coming up with 50 reasons to back out of undergoing it. The chief was her fear of pain, which proved unfounded. She felt nothing, no more than taking an x-ray at the dentist. She was so relieved. Now we'll see if any burning of the skin occurs. One down, 32 sessions to go.
It was a great day on the street. I immediately sold A Hitch in Twilight to Galina, a lovely young Russian. Although she didn't looked familiar, I asked if she'd bought from me previously, as I remembered the name, which in Italian means chicken. She laughed and said she knew that, but it hadn't been her. Regardless - spasiba, madam.
A while later a woman was drawn to the CDs, which I had displayed on the ledge that guards the narrow garden that runs along the building. I said they were a dollar each. She remained silent. I sensed she didn't speak much English. She chose one by Blue Murder and another by Brother. I only hope she isn't appalled by hard rock. Thank you, ma'am.
As I was packing up, I noted Charlie, aka Teddy Bear, approaching. I slowed down, hoping he would make a purchase, even though he'd made one recently. Sure enough, he did, selecting six mysteries. Arlynn, who seems to know everyone in the neighborhood, said he's a retired teacher. I bet he got a lot of guff from students, despite his size. I really should refer to him as Grizzly Bear. His appearance screams ECCENTRIC. He certainly isn't spending any retirement money on clothes. I'm glad he's spending it on books. Thank you, sir.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment