Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/2

Time was limited today, as I took my brother in law shopping, but I kept the momentum going by selling Shoot!, a large instructional book on the 35mm camera. Thanks, sir. The wind is still stiff, but it's no longer out of the North, so it was only annoying and not cold out there. It's been a while since I've had a day with nothing to show for my efforts. It takes the sting out of not selling any of my own books.
I enjoyed Iron Man 2 but doubt I'll remember much of it down the road. I don't remember anything about the first. The action sequences in the sequel are first rate, as is expected in the era of CGI. What distinguishes it are the hero's revelation during the opening scene of his being Iron Man, which was very refreshing; his egomania, played to perfection by Robert Downy Jr.; and the fact that the private sector is seen as vastly superior to government, which I believe is true and is surprising to see in a Hollywood movie. The best scene has the hero taking on a congressional hearing, of which Garry Shandling is the head. He is so unctuous - just like real life politicians - one feel the need to bath after being in his presence. I'd call it perfect casting.
The oddest thing about the film is the enormously talented Scarlett Johannsen. She plays the typical Hollywood uber-woman, capable not only of great work but of waylaying a group of men with ease and without the armor the hero needs, in short, a cliche. I hope she returns to serious work. Gwynth Paltrow, the most unjustly criticized American actress, is fine as Downey's newly-appointed, stressed-out CEO. And Mickey Rourke is fun as the villain. His Russian accent sounded genuine, at least to my ear. My neighbors might not agree. Don Cheadle and Samuel L. Jackson bring their usual polish to the proceedings. The film was directed by John Favreau, who also plays Downey's assistant. He first gained prominence as co-star and co-screen writer of the critically acclaimed Swingers. He also guested on a number of episodes of Friends. On a scale of five: three.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment