Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/7

It was raw out there today. I was back to six layers. Thanks to the young latino construction worker who purchased CDs by Lee Michaels and Triumph.
I saw a great bumper sticker during my morning constitutional, which attributed the quote to Mark Twain. Although it sounds like something that great wit would have said, an internet source listed it as anonymous. Whatever: "Politicians are like diapers.  They both need changing regularly and for the same reason."
I watched the follow up to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire. They are the first two parts of the Millennium series, based on Stieg Laarsen's wildly popular novels, set in Sweden. I liked it just as much as the first, disagreeing with critics. The central character, an abused child turned punked-out techie genius, who cannot avoid trouble, is riveting and played wonderfully by Noomi Rapace. I had the choice of viewing in the original language or the dubbed version, and chose the latter. I frequently argue about this with other movie lovers. My thinking is that, since film is a visual medium, there is much to be missed while reading subtitles. Of course, some of the dialogue will not or is not translated well. I've seen that so often in Italian cinema and, to a lesser extent, in Spanish, of which my grasp is weak, and that was the case with this film. Since I was free to listen and watch, I did not find the plot confusing, which was a complaint of the reviewer at allmovie.com. He should try reading Dashiell Hammett's The Dain Curse or Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep, which Hollywood simplified to great effect. Those authors must have had staggering IQ's. On a scale of five, I rate the second part of the series the same as the first: four. I look forward to the finale.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment