Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/3

The password for today is misadventure. It was gorgeous, the temperature near 60. As soon as I turned onto Bay Parkway, a parking spot opened up right in front of the Chase bank. I thought it was going to be a banner day - until I opened the trunk, where a large vacancy was staring at me. The milk crates were gone. Only my reserve box remained. I immediately assumed someone had broken into the car overnight, which didn't make sense, as several good hardcover books remained. It soon occurred to me that I must have left the crates at the curb on 24th Avenue yesterday. I didn't have much room behind me, so, rather than risk scratching the SUV on my tail, I decided to move up a little and proceeded to make a u turn and go on my way. What an idiot! This was my second episode of brain lock in the past month, the other being when I left the keys dangling in the lock. Short term memory loss occurs with age, and every significant episode is scary because of the fear that it will soon become total memory loss. I don't mind losing all those good books and CDs people have donated to me, but I hate losing my own. I pulled the reserves I keep in the glove compartment and set up shop with what I had left. Lorraine noticed and asked what was what. She made a coffee run and returned with two milk crates. I hoped she hadn't risked trouble. Later, Joanne was surprised to learn that I'd sold almost the entire donation she'd given me last week. I didn't mention what happened to the last five. She did some shopping, went home and returned with a bag full of hard and soft cover books. Billy, who has purchased books, CD's and DVDs from me, showed. He seemed a little down and out. He'd recently fallen victim to a scam. It seems his heart medication affects his thinking. He got a call from some creep who said there was five grand to be won. All Billy had to do was wire $500 via Western Union. He has such a kind nature. Maybe he was thinking his luck had finally turned, his prayers had been answered. Despite that, he purchased a beautiful Shel Silverstein hardcover book of poetry and illustrations for his grand-daughter. I felt guilty taking his two dollars. Thank you Lorraine, Joanne and Billy.
I'd called my sister and told her to pass along 24th Avenue on her way to church. The crates were there, but only three paperbacks were left. I picked them up on the way home. During long stretches with no sales, I often wondered if I would be able to give away the books. Now I know. And so the winning streak has come to an end in a big way. I'll reload tomorrow.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment