Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/20

The forecast was wrong. We had no rain, and the sun broke through. I risked not going to the shelter of the viaduct, and it paid off immediately, as a gentleman purchased two DVDs, W and War, Inc., films that delighted leftists and the rest of the public ignored. They were amongst the CDs Marie donated. I suppose some conservatives would label me a traitor for disseminating such fare, but free speech shouldn't be quashed, especially if there's a profit to be made on it. A while later a young woman was disappointed that she didn't have ten bucks for A Hitch in Twilight, but she bought in bulk any way - five thrillers at my recommendation, two by Sandra Brown, a Lisa Scottoline, Daniel Silva and Nora Roberts. Readers love those authors. That's where the recommendation came from, not me. And to top it off, an elderly woman, wearing those thick sunglasses seniors sport, purchased another Sandra Brown thriller. "Enjoy," I said. "Oh, I will, I will," she returned. "She's so good." Thanks, folks.
I occasionally wonder if I should go down in price for one of my books. The Sicilian in me just won't let me do it. The other day a woman offered me six dollars for Close to the Edge. I wouldn't do it. I offer gift copies of other books to those who take the chance on one of mine at ten bucks. Buyers often refuse the gifts or limit themselves to one. Many authors give copies away as promotion, which falls in line with the theory that one must spend money in order to make money. It is my belief that that would work only with hundreds of copies. I'm in no position to do that. I also like the challenge of trying to turn a profit on the copies I buy. I turned positive on Close to the Edge long ago, and I'm more than halfway there on Adjustments, and just about there on A Hitch in Twilight. And if I factor in all the other books, CDs and DVDs I sell, which are donated to me, I'm way ahead.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment